Doctors surgeries

Reminisce about products you remember from your childhood.
charliemonk
Quadruple Gold
Quadruple Gold

Doctors surgeries

Post by charliemonk » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:33 pm

I remembered today how doctors surgeries were often set up in ordinary houses where you would wait in the front room / waiting room.
Ours was in a terrace, the doctors name on a brass plate on the wall outside and the wooden chairs in the waiting room had the droopiest leather seats you have ever seen, all the horsehair was out of them and as a child it felt as though they were swallowing you.

Xetal
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Re: Doctors surgeries

Post by Xetal » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:02 pm

Yep, I remember the house surgery (but my doc's seats were rather confortable.) My current doc's surgery's a detached house, modified a bit, but nobody lives there as far as I know, though he owns it.

A lot of dental surgeries are still pretty much specially-equipped houses. After all, houses are usually rather well-designed in terms of having rooms where two or three people can do their thing behind closed doors....
Sworn, b'loody!

Xetal

charliemonk
Quadruple Gold
Quadruple Gold

Post by charliemonk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:10 pm

I was talking to a friend about this subject and she remembers having an injection as a child (quite a traumatic experience) and being told to look away in the direction of the gas fire, complete with homely surround and clock etc.
Compare that to todays sterile faceless doctors rooms.

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:20 pm

I remember my doctors surgery (as a kid), it was pretty damp and a little smelly.

But most of all I remember the model train he had above his cabinet on the wall. It consisited of the steam engine, coke car and two passenger cars.
It was beautiful, and I was always in awe of it. I asked him once if I could have it (aged about 10) and he said he'd think about it, when I got a bit older.
I'm still waiting for him to give it to me?
Dave Mc Image

Return to “Do you remember?”