School playground

Reminisce about products you remember from your childhood.
charliechops
Mega ++ Poster
Mega ++ Poster

School playground

Post by charliechops » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:08 pm

Recently, I went back to London to visit me nan and drove past my old school. It reminded me of how different things were then. There used to be a huge fence around the edge of the playground with barbed wire along the top. The parents used to say it was to stop the kids 'escaping' but, more likely to stop anyone getting in.

There was a shelter at either end of the playground, one for the boys and one for the girls. There was a white line in the middle of the playground dividing it into two halves. If a boy strayed over the line into the girls half they would get a rollocking and have to pick up litter.

Our school was right next door to some four storey houses or flats and they partially overlooked the boys end of the playground. When we played football sometimes the ball would hit the wall or window of this old bloke's place at the top, and he would lean out and swear and throw buckets of water at us which, as kids, was highly amusing.

I couldn't believe the difference when we moved out of London and I changed schools. Chicken wire fences about four foot high. My first thought was how easy it would be to escape. :)
"Good 'ere innit"

pandammonium
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by pandammonium » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:30 pm

We used to have a big brick wall around the field, where we went at dinner time. On top of the wall was broken glass set into cement. That and the general strictness of the school caused us to chant "prisoner-of-war camp" a lot. We were so na?ve back then. :roll:
007 Panda: Licenced to Spell

--

Remember to search for your topic before adding a new thread.

verytalldave
Double Gold
Double Gold

Post by verytalldave » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:14 pm

My first Primary school was Invicta Road near Blackheath.
About 4 or 5 years ago I received an e-mail sent via the Friends Reunited website regarding a 50 year celebration of the opening of Invicta road school.
I went along curious to see the old place. Most things were the same and were stuck in a time warp. What had changed however was the security. There was no fences or barriers except around the playgrounds. Now there is a high security net fence with CCTV cameras everywhere and keypad entry and exit locks. More like a prison than an infant school.
Shocked me a bit, but of course its not the same as back in day. Not so much to keep the kids in, but to prevent unauthorised access.
Great shame. Makes you wonder what changes the next 50 years will bring.

Flyrr100
Purple Star
Purple Star

Post by Flyrr100 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:38 pm

We used to have old air raid shelters in our playground! Long bricked up. We just knew theere were dead people bricked up in them! Great fun!
Nelson Primary School, Whitton, Middlesex.
Jeff in Central Florida (still a Blues fan though!)

Return to “Do you remember?”