Cats got the measles

Already mentioned are British Bulldog and Kiss Chase. What else do you remember? Only the clean ones please!!
charliemonk
Quadruple Gold
Quadruple Gold

Cats got the measles

Post by charliemonk » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:02 pm

Can any of the girls remember this one. It had a strange jumping and hopping dance akin to hopscotching on the spot.
"Cats got the measles, the measles, the measles. Cats got the measles and..so..have..you"

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:26 pm

I remember girls playing this.

Wasn't it a clapping, thingy, song that girls did? :?
Dave Mc Image

charliemonk
Quadruple Gold
Quadruple Gold

Post by charliemonk » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:03 am

No, have remembered! You had to jump on the spoy criss-crossing your legs and if you got to the end of the rhyme and your legs were crossed you had to push your sock down a bit.
No good if you had droopy socks to start with. Not sure how to end the game though.

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:53 pm

Now I've got time during the day (due to shift working), I was watching a programme on one of the discovery channels... or was the history channel?

Anyway, they were showing a programme about Liverpool in the late forties/early fifties, just after the war and they showed what schools, and school kids, were doing at that time. The boys and girls were all seperated into their own playgrounds and the girls were doing skipping games, and one of the games they played was "the cats got the measles". Basically you had to skip while two girls twirled two ropes (really fast) and all the other girls were singing the song.
I don't know how it worked, or what the purpose was, but that's what they were doing.

Reminded me of my junior school (in the sixties) :)
Dave Mc Image

Return to “Playground Games”