Tailors shops

Thanks to verytalldave for this
verytalldave
Double Gold
Double Gold

Tailors shops

Post by verytalldave » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:51 pm

I suppose I ought to start this topic off as it was my suggestion......
So here goes............
All the chains of mens tailors have gone.
Burtons is now some fancy psuedo-Italian name shop selling tee shirts and ripped faded jeans, John Collier (the window to watch) has also gone as has Willerby (the tailor of taste).
Burtons also made ladies made-to-measure clothes and it was quite common to see see ladies being measured and fitted for clothes alongside men.
For some obscure reason, above most Burtons there were snooker clubs. I never quite understood why or the connection, but it was true. In fact the snooker hall in Lewisham is still there, but the Burtons has of course, long gone.

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:38 am

THE Burton's main factory and warehouse (huge place) was about half a mile from our house, and my mum worked their for years.
They had a childrens day every year... it was great.. a real feeling of community. :(
Dave Mc Image

pfmc24
Gold Star
Gold Star

Post by pfmc24 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:35 pm

There was a definite reason the snooker halls were above the shops, Somehing to do with the owner of the Burtons chain.
Some tinternet research should settle it, I'll go do it now.

No Mere Nosebleed
Silver Star
Silver Star

Post by No Mere Nosebleed » Wed May 16, 2007 9:43 am

March the Tailors.

Now, just WHO were they? I never actually saw a branch of this no doubt reputable company, but what I do remember is the TV advertisement, which appeared usually (and probably only) on Sunday afternoons. What happened was, a bloke walked down the street, wearing only a beer barrel suspended by a pair of braces. Meanwhile, a jolly little ditty was playing in the background. He walked into a branch of March the Tailors, and came out wearing a smart suit, while the song finished with the line "March the Tailors - dress you well".
Last edited by No Mere Nosebleed on Thu May 17, 2007 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big John Wayne socks psychology on the jaw.

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Thu May 17, 2007 7:01 am

"Impress you well"
Dave Mc Image

Return to “Shops that have gone”