E Type Jaguar

Cars you hated and why you hated them.
verytalldave
Double Gold
Double Gold

E Type Jaguar

Post by verytalldave » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:57 am

Surprised?
Before you rush to verbally rape me for suggesting such an iconic car as a heap of poo - have you ever driven or owned one?
Well I have - well not owned one, but driven one - and its rubbish.
I used to own a Lotus Elan sprint and a friend of mine owned an E type. We swapped cars one night to drive home.
OK, it was fast and powerful, but a dog to handle. It was one of the most awful cars I have ever driven. The cockpit was cramped. The steering wheel was too large and in the wrong place and you needed a load of luck when parking as you couldnt see where the end of the bonnet was. It might be OK in America, but on London streets it was a real liability.
My lotus was a revelation in comparison. It was like comparing a milk float with a Ferrari.
Nice shape - shame about everything else.

charliemonk
Quadruple Gold
Quadruple Gold

Post by charliemonk » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:00 pm

" The cockpit was cramped " Quote by "Very tall Dave"

No s**t !!

verytalldave
Double Gold
Double Gold

Post by verytalldave » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:55 am

Yes, it was!
Even though my car (a lotus elan) was half the size overall, the driver/passenger space was so much more comfortable and was just better designed. The E type felt uncomfortable and the driving position was not "natural" if you know what I mean.
Other than being an iconic design classic, the E type was a crap car to drive in comparison. And that surely must count for something.
Another car I once owned which the overall body size belied its driver space was the old Hillman Imp. That had a reversable drivers seat bracket which you could shift about to increase (or decrease) the distance from the steering wheel.
Britains tallest man actually owned a Hillman Imp back in the day because of the excellent legroom. Mind you, nobody could sit in the back!
Now theres a fact for you.

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:59 pm

:shock:
Dave Mc Image

Return to “Cars you hated”