Range Rover

Cars you hated and why you hated them.
PORPOISE
Gold Star
Gold Star

Range Rover

Post by PORPOISE » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:29 pm

I applaud the fact we Brits made a car that is still successful but I hate everything it stands for.

How many actually go off road? Very few because you would probably wreck the bodywork of your ?40 grand plus motor, so most folk buy Land Rover Defenders that are hardy and can cope with the tuff stuff just asw well. They also look well cool dirty. So much so that in Iceland, you can buy spray-on dirt for your off-roader, as dirty jeeps are considered cool!

Anyway - Range Rovers
Most of them tend to come out around school starting/finishing times, or are transport for sales reps.

Question - so why not buy a damn good, nippy fuel efficient car like a Skoda Octavia estate, or for badge snobs, an Audi A4 Avant with just as much capacity and the ability to actually go around roundabouts without falling over. Equally, for the school run, a top of the range Golf is much better in every way, which is cool and far easier to drive and much easier to park! Have you ever seen the average Range Rover owner trying to park?

I know there is the old arguement of being high to get a better view, but why drive something so big, thirsty and hard to manouvre just for the height.

The worst is when people refer to the Range Rover as the "car". If you want a car people, buy a car! This is a totally different vehicle altogether!

cobblerian
Triple Gold
Triple Gold

Post by cobblerian » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:48 pm

My brother off roaded one for a few weeks for work. The fuel cosumption was horrendous, ?70 to fill it and it had to be filled twice a day! There's plenty of other stuff better off road and an endless list of stuff better on road. I suppose people by them for the snob value.

charliechops
Mega ++ Poster
Mega ++ Poster

Post by charliechops » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:32 pm

It's not much fun when you get hit up the rear end by one either..... as I know from experience.
:shock:
"Good 'ere innit"

Xetal
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Post by Xetal » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:05 am

I drove one once. The steering was so vague I decided against buying it there and then.
Sworn, b'loody!

Xetal

pandammonium
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by pandammonium » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:37 am

To go back to the point about them never going off road, I assume you've all heard about being able to buy spray-on mud?
007 Panda: Licenced to Spell

--

Remember to search for your topic before adding a new thread.

Bluebottle
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Re: Range Rover

Post by Bluebottle » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:41 am

PORPOISE wrote:So much so that in Iceland, you can buy spray-on dirt for your off-roader, as dirty jeeps are considered cool!
Try to keep up, Panda... :twisted:
? I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.
? This place has become impossible. Nothing to eat, freezing cold and now a madman on the prowl outside with eels.

pandammonium
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by pandammonium » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:54 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I said you'd all probably heard ;)

--

charliechops
Mega ++ Poster
Mega ++ Poster

Post by charliechops » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:15 am

pandammonium wrote:To go back to the point about them never going off road, I assume you've all heard about being able to buy spray-on mud?
Make sure you read previous posts, to avoid embarrassment....................as someone once said.

Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_18
"Good 'ere innit"

Bluebottle
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Post by Bluebottle » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:29 am

Bluebottle wrote:
PORPOISE wrote:So much so that in Iceland, you can buy spray-on dirt for your off-roader, as dirty jeeps are considered cool!
Try to keep up, Panda... :twisted:
Try to keep up, Charlie :lol: :lol:
? This place has become impossible. Nothing to eat, freezing cold and now a madman on the prowl outside with eels.

pandammonium
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by pandammonium » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:14 pm

You mustn't have been out drinking last night, Blueb, to be so observant and alert!

Remember: your country needs lerts.

--

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:48 am

charliechops wrote:
pandammonium wrote:To go back to the point about them never going off road, I assume you've all heard about being able to buy spray-on mud?
Make sure you read previous posts, to avoid embarrassment....................as someone once said.

Yeah I'll second that :roll:
Dave Mc Image

pandammonium
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by pandammonium » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:16 pm

Does that mean you're finally learning, Dave?

--

Bluebottle
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Post by Bluebottle » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:43 pm

I see that Gordon Brown has dropped a large one with his new car tax proposals.

There are no cars currently on sale that fit into the lowest bracket - zero tax

Also, in his new 'gas-guzzling 4x4' category (?210), only 3 of the top ten 4x4s qualify...

pandammonium
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by pandammonium » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:05 pm

Not that a couple of hundred is is going to make much difference to people who pay thousands and thousands for their vehicles anyway.

--

choccygirl
Purple Star
Purple Star

Post by choccygirl » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:10 am

PORPOISE wrote:I applaud the fact we Brits made a car that is still successful but I hate everything it stands for.

How many actually go off road? Very few because you would probably wreck the bodywork of your ?40 grand plus motor, so most folk buy Land Rover Defenders that are hardy and can cope with the tuff stuff just asw well. They also look well cool dirty. So much so that in Iceland, you can buy spray-on dirt for your off-roader, as dirty jeeps are considered cool!

Anyway - Range Rovers
Most of them tend to come out around school starting/finishing times, or are transport for sales reps.

Question - so why not buy a damn good, nippy fuel efficient car like a Skoda Octavia estate, or for badge snobs, an Audi A4 Avant with just as much capacity and the ability to actually go around roundabouts without falling over. Equally, for the school run, a top of the range Golf is much better in every way, which is cool and far easier to drive and much easier to park! Have you ever seen the average Range Rover owner trying to park?

I know there is the old arguement of being high to get a better view, but why drive something so big, thirsty and hard to manouvre just for the height.

The worst is when people refer to the Range Rover as the "car". If you want a car people, buy a car! This is a totally different vehicle altogether!

:x
Oh where to start first we don?t all live in London or a large city, some of us live in remote parts of the country where driving conditions need a 4x4.
I can tell you Range Rover is no longer British.
I for one was off road a lot, I am not a sales rep and do not have children.
As for the Skoda or Audi wouldn?t stand a chance where I live in the winter.
As for parking I have held a licence for many years now, I?m a very good driver but then I have the feeling you think all women can?t drive either!
Well seeming you have never been in one by the sound of it, you wouldn?t realise what a great view you do have especially in the wet?
In this household we drive two cars one was a VW Polo GTI for the summer, and a RR Vogue for the winter. We have recently changed both instead for a BMW X5, which I?m not mad about, and a VW Passat with its awful handbrake, which I hated so much after buying new that I sold it after 4 months.
I?m now looking at a new Alfa Romeo.

Return to “Cars you hated”