How should I know?
43%

Total votes: 7

pandammonium
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Anything made by Renault

Post by pandammonium » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:17 pm

Here is the proper place to discuss big-bummed Meganes, Dave's soon-to-stall-at-the-busiest-traffic-lights-controlled-junction-in-the-world-ever Laguna and any other Renault cars.

Enjoy.
007 Panda: Licenced to Spell

--

Remember to search for your topic before adding a new thread.

Bluebottle
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Post by Bluebottle » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:54 pm

I'm sure those big-assed cars are multiplying in the car park at work. They don't look any better when there's three parked together :shock:
? I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.
? This place has become impossible. Nothing to eat, freezing cold and now a madman on the prowl outside with eels.

Xetal
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Post by Xetal » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:24 pm

I had a Renault 6 in the early 70's and it wasn't bad. In those days Renaults were second only to Fiats in reputation for rusting.

From 1996 to 2002 I had an ancient Renault 18 Estate, then a Renault 25, which I picked up for ?100 and ?250 respectively . They each gave me three years' excellent service, both with only a new battery needed after two. The 1980's Renault 2 litre engine was a very durable and reliable unit, and the cars they put it in were OK (especiallyas old knackers! :D )

But the new all-electric big-@$$'d models - and the Scenic before them - have appalling electrics/computers. Which pans them regularly. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
Sworn, b'loody!

Xetal

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:28 am

Nice to have a poll again (well done Panda)

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.

I have had a Renault Chamade, a Renault 19 and am currently driving a Renault Laguna automatic, and I have to say, they have all been good reliable cars.
But, and this is the big but that made me vote in the negative, after the extremely bad experiences with my lady friend and her Renault 19, especially the time we were driving in Scotland and came to a bridge over some river. It was a single carraigeway bridge about 500 yards long with traffic lights on either side. We were just coming back from Fort William, heading towards Oban when we stopped at this bridge (we were three cars back from the lights) and there were about twenty cars behind us. Yes you've already guessed, the car just switched itself off. I tried frantically for what seemed an eternity to try and get the bl**dy thing to start, it wouldn't. I was just about to get out of the car and gesture to the cars behind to come past, when all of a sudden it just started.
When we got back to Leeds we took it to Renault, could they find the problem? could they chuffing heckers! Eventually after many more of these bad experiences we sold it to a car dealer and swapped it for a Peugeot 206. He rang up twice asking how to start it and we told him it was because they hadn't given the immobiliser time to reset itself.
I know, that's bad but we were just so relieved to get rid.
My current Renault is 'N' reg and doesn't have all the sophisticated electronics that her car had.
I doubt I would buy a new Renault.
Dave Mc Image

charliechops
Mega ++ Poster
Mega ++ Poster

Post by charliechops » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:21 pm

I've never had a Renault and don't think I ever will. I just don't like the look of 'em. I prefer older cars with character.

My last car was an old Jag XJ6 which never gave me any trouble.... until a nice lady smashed into the back of it and wrote it off last year. I used to drive old Fords. Easy to work on and no gizmos to worry about.
"Good 'ere innit"

cobblerian
Triple Gold
Triple Gold

Post by cobblerian » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:02 pm

My mum used to have a renault 18, if it rained the drivers footwell filled with water and when you pressed the brake pedal the hazard warning lights came on. It was back and forth to the dealers for months before it was anywhere near right.

PORPOISE
Gold Star
Gold Star

Post by PORPOISE » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:02 pm

I've never had one but I remember a friend's mum having a Clio when I was younger and it had stereo controls on the steering wheel which i didnt realise! I could never work out how she kept changing the volume! Any Renaults we've sold at work have always been ok though! They may not be the best but they are by no means the worst.

Does anyone have a Citroen? or

Does anyone have a Citroen that hasn'y had problems?

pandammonium
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by pandammonium » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:34 am

This is not the Citroen thread.
007 Panda: Licenced to Spell

--

Remember to search for your topic before adding a new thread.

Bluebottle
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Post by Bluebottle » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:42 am

(Is there one?)

[Moves over to 'Cars you liked']
? I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.
? This place has become impossible. Nothing to eat, freezing cold and now a madman on the prowl outside with eels.

verytalldave
Double Gold
Double Gold

Post by verytalldave » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:35 pm

Currently I have a 4 door 52 reg Clio that I have owned since new. Its coming up for 60,000 miles now so it hasnt had a lazy life.
Its proved to be ultra reliable, very economical and for a small car, quite comfortable which are the top 3 requirements I have in a car nowadays. Gone are the days when the ability to catapult yourself to 60 in 6 seconds was a priority.
Before that I owned a new Scenic, and that was a good car as well. Not very economical, but good on all other counts.
I would certainly buy another when the time comes without any hesitation.

2 cars I hated were both Fords.
One was a 1980 Mk 5 Cortina GL and the other was a 1984 Ghia Fiesta.
Both were bad at starting in the cold and wet. Which in my book is a real bad black mark.
Wrong topic I know, but it sort of follows on.............

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:28 am

If you want to vent your spleen, mate... you do it! :wink:
Dave Mc Image

matt20
Purple Star
Purple Star

Post by matt20 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:09 pm

renault 12 they looked the same shape front and back really wierd slopy angled shape
regards matt

cobblerian
Triple Gold
Triple Gold

Post by cobblerian » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:49 pm

My first wife's father has a Laguna, this summer at the start of a months caravan holiday the turbo-charger and intercooler blew themselves apart! on the M74! He managed to nurse it to a service area and called the local dealer. Renault flew the parts out from France over night and free of charge and the car was back on the road in 24 hours, this car was only four years old and didn't have a hugely high milage, but we have since discovered there is a known problem with Renault turbo-diesels.
Renault trucks aren't much better, one of the companies that delivers to my work has just replaced their fleet of artics with twenty new Renaults, every one has been off the road to have major components replaced within the first six weeks after delivery.
Don't think I'll be buying a Renault anytime soon.

Xetal
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Post by Xetal » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:12 pm

matt20 wrote:renault 12 they looked the same shape front and back really wierd slopy angled shape
My parents had a Renault 12 which I borrowed to take a mate to uni. Some bung or other popped out on the motorway and it seized up. There again, it was something of an old knacker by then....
Sworn, b'loody!

Xetal

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:04 am

So... that's a NO, then. :roll:
Dave Mc Image

Return to “Cars you hated”