Bread brands

Sauces, ready meals, tinned foods etc you would like to see back.
Drumlady
Purple Star
Purple Star

Post by Drumlady » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:15 pm

So do I. I think it comes from the Midlands area.... :wink:

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:06 am

... and we all hate them.
Dave Mc Image

charliemonk
Quadruple Gold
Quadruple Gold

Post by charliemonk » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:43 pm

Bread slices are getting smaller, I have got an old fashioned toastie maker, the type that clamps together and you hold over the hob to cook. Where once the bread hung over the edge and had to be reamed off from around the edge with a knife, now the bread barely fits inside it.
Makes tasty cheese toasties. Yumm.

verytalldave
Double Gold
Double Gold

Re: Bread brands

Post by verytalldave » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:03 pm

If you come from the Yarmouth area in Norfolk and you are the wrong side of 40 (?) then you will have fond memories of Matthes bread baked in Gorleston-on-sea.
I wouldn't like to say how many times I walked past their factory gates down Englands lane salivating at the aroma of baking bread and cakes.
Sadly shut up shop many years ago and is now just a distant - but very pleasant - memory.

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:49 pm

On a similar vein... I remember walking to my granndma's (Hunslet area of Leeds) and walking past Brays bakery on Hunslet Road... same smell, no doubt.

Ask anyone what their favourite smell is, and I'll bet a very large percentage will say "the smell of baking bread"!!

The great thing about grandma's on a saturday morning was that she baked her own bread, and when I got there, there was always a warm oven bottom cake waiting... dripping with real butter. :)
Dave Mc Image

Xetal
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Post by Xetal » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:05 pm

My walk from digs to uni in Southampton took me past a bakery. The smell was fabulous: really set me up for a morning's study (or whatever.) Their bread was awful. When I went back to uni for a reunion last month I took a stroll back to the old digs and the bakery was knocked down. It's now a Tesco car park - paved with the last batch of that grotty bread for all I know.
Sworn, b'loody!

Xetal

Return to “Groceries”