Mini

The cars you remember and why you liked them.
No Mere Nosebleed
Silver Star
Silver Star

Mini

Post by No Mere Nosebleed » Wed May 16, 2007 10:42 am

Really, this needs to be copied to the "Cars you hated" section too. I had what you might call a love-hate relationship with my Minis. Yes, there was more than one of 'em.

First the good bits. Even if you get the slowest 850cc version, they are an absolute blast to drive. So responsive, such brilliant roadholding, the most acurate steering in the world. It's as if you become one with the car, it almost responds to your thoughts. They are also dirt cheap to run and cost buttons to fix (but see also the "bad bits" section). They look great. They have character. They can be anything you want them to be - cheapo runabout, racing car, mini-Rolls Royce. Completely classless - you never feel ashamed to turn up anywhere in a Mini.

Now the nasties. The ride comfort. Excuse me - what ride comfort? Drive a Mini on a regular basis, and you'd better start negotiating discount rates with your nearest chiropractor. The face level air vents are hilarious - you're assured a facefull of dead leaves or insects - I got a live dragonfly once. Reliabilty? Mostly good, but some bits just seem to fail on a regular basis. Water pumps were a particular problem on one of my cars - 3 in a month must be some kind of record. Rust? Yes, they rust. With a vengeance. Even on nearly new cars. Yes, they rust and rust and rust and....

Eventually, I grew out of them and started buying sensible cars, but I oh so nearly bought another one last year. I took the easy option and got one of the new (i.e. BMW) ones instead. All gain, no pain.
Big John Wayne socks psychology on the jaw.

Bluebottle
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Post by Bluebottle » Wed May 16, 2007 6:00 pm

Ah, the mini - we used to have an old clapped out one when I was younger...

The new ones miss the point completely. The mini is supposed to be just that - small and cheap. The new ones are neither :?
? I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.
? This place has become impossible. Nothing to eat, freezing cold and now a madman on the prowl outside with eels.

starz92
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Post by starz92 » Thu May 17, 2007 7:07 am

:cry:
Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Thu May 17, 2007 7:09 am

I've never particularly liked them, but my ex-brother-in-law had one, and I can see where you come from with the responsiveness and 'being at one' with them. Very,very uncomfortable, though.
Dave Mc Image

Return to “Cars you liked”