Rentaghost

Like Superman on the radio (great for the imagination), likewise Journey Into Space, or the TeleGoons. Showing my age now!!
Mr M
Triple Gold
Triple Gold

Rentaghost

Post by Mr M » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:10 am

Proberly one of the worst program ever on Childrens TV!!!! :x

Total crap!! :evil:
Mr M

"I'm playing all the right notes.....but not necessarily in the right order!"

BigGazza
Purple Star
Purple Star

Post by BigGazza » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:57 am

You philistine !!! I loved it......!!! Let me see....Timothy Claypole, Mr and Mrs Meeker, the panto horse, and Miss Popov ! Who else.....?

pandammonium
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by pandammonium » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:03 pm

I did as well.

There was also Hazel the Witch. Funny how it's only when you're older you realise she's called that because of the plant witch hazel :roll:
007 Panda: Licenced to Spell

--

Remember to search for your topic before adding a new thread.

Bluebottle
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Post by Bluebottle » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:08 pm

At your party be a smartie and hire... Rentaghost!
We've got freaks, and fools, and spooks and ghouls... at Rentaghost!
See the Phantom of the Opera sing a haunting melody
Remeber what you see is not a mystery, but... Rentaghost!
Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!
? I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.
? This place has become impossible. Nothing to eat, freezing cold and now a madman on the prowl outside with eels.

greatoldtv
Just Starting

Rentaghost

Post by greatoldtv » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:38 am

If Mr. M is referring to the later episodes then he is correct in my opinion, however if he is referring to the first four series, when Fred Mumford and Mr., Davenport were still in it then he is very wrong.
The comic writing of Bob Block outstrips the writing of most adult comedy now, never mind children?s TV. Edward Brayshaw as Meeker was superb as the long suffering landlord and agent, and the scenes with Mumford at home with his parents who don?t realize he is dead is a joy to watch.
Some gags were corny but the delivery and acting made then work,

example?. Clay pole is having a mischievous spell and is turning things into vegetables, Mumford is on the phone to Davenport, suddenly davenports phone turns into a salami and Fred Mumfords a banana, Fred, unaware of the banana at this point complains he can suddenly smell garlic, camp Mr. Davenport states he is ?suasaging? Mr. Mumford (with the innuendo that implies) then Freds grumpy father walks by and sees the Banana Fred is talking into
His dad, familiar with Freds weird ?going?s on? says with exasperation ?don?t tell me Fred, you were walking by and the banana started ringing? ?No? says Fred, with a sickly grin, ?peeling?

Having a number of episodes of Bob blocks previous show, ?Pardon My Genie? I notice that quite a few of the gags are re used in the early Rentaghost?s, but a audiences were very much divided back then and the ITV viewers of ?genie? were really quite likely not to have watched the BBC?s rentaghost and vice versa.

Thankfully I also have virtually every episode of these first four series of rentaghost, and as I understand it due to money wrangling and insurmountable rights issues the first series on DVD is the lot, no more will be released.
The recent sad death of Anthony Jackson, who played Fred has only added to the complicated family / money related feuds surrounding who is entitled to the royalties.
The fact that ALL FIVE of the male lead roles, and ?Mrs Mumford? (Betty Alberge) are dead now, four of them way before there time too, has made the series very tricky for royalty rights, some default benefactors cant even be traced as I understand.
Ann Emery (Mrs Meeker, real life sister of Dick Emery) is the only surviving member of the original main cast.

Bluebottle
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Post by Bluebottle » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:36 pm

Welcome to the asylum Greatoldtv 8)

I didn't know so many of the original cast had died - very sad news. It would be great if the various benefactors could resolve their differences, and allow the remaining episodes to appear on DVD. Alas, I fear this may never happen :?
? I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.
? This place has become impossible. Nothing to eat, freezing cold and now a madman on the prowl outside with eels.

Return to “Do you remember TV or Radio programmes?”