What you'd find on your car radio, early 60s style.

Like Superman on the radio (great for the imagination), likewise Journey Into Space, or the TeleGoons. Showing my age now!!
No Mere Nosebleed
Silver Star
Silver Star

What you'd find on your car radio, early 60s style.

Post by No Mere Nosebleed » Wed May 16, 2007 12:11 pm

Back in the good old days ( a phrase which, incidentally, always reminds me of Leonard Sachs, a man I would have willingly kicked in the balls), cars didn't always have radios. My Dad's cars usually did, but their repertoire seemed to be distinctly limited. For instance, they always seemed to be permanently tuned to 2-Way Family favourites - and what dross that was: "greetings to you all from BFPO45, only 17 years before we meet again". This, of course, would be followed by the Billy Cotton Band Show, with its strident welcome of "wakey wake----EH!!!!!!!!". I mean, why, for God's sake? But.... under pressure from my sister, the radio could sometimes be persuaded to deliver Radio Luxembourg, with its attendant squeaks and whistles, and exortations from one Horace Batchelor to do something that I can't remember.

That was about it. Surely there must have been something else. Did car radios only broadcast programmes unique to themselves?
Big John Wayne socks psychology on the jaw.

Xetal
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Post by Xetal » Wed May 16, 2007 11:02 pm

They only played what was broadcast: Light Program, Home Service, Third Program, Luxembourg, plus whatever pirates came along. Sound was pretty much snap, crackle & pop whatever you were supposed to be hearing, especially if the car engine was running.
Sworn, b'loody!

Xetal

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Thu May 17, 2007 6:59 am

I remember getting a Datsun 120Y (second hand, of course) and it had a Motorola push button radio already installed (from the factory). I thought I was the dog's doo-dahs with that. :)
Dave Mc Image

Return to “Do you remember TV or Radio programmes?”