What do you miss overseas?

The products you would like to see back on the shelves of shops.
Flyrr100
Purple Star
Purple Star

What do you miss overseas?

Post by Flyrr100 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:06 pm

Living in the USA, I miss so many little things!

Refreshers
Bovril crisps
Peter Osgood
Auf Wiedersen Pet
Cortinas
a real pub (so many bad ex-pat hangouts in Florida)
Oxtail soup
Roast lamb
Rice pudding
Playing in the street
Magic roundabout (not really, but it shows my age!)
Ben sherman dress shirts (very expensive here)

discuss...................
Jeff in Central Florida (still a Blues fan though!)

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:19 am

There are so many things I miss, living in Leeds... :cry:

The Florida sunshine...

Everyday!
:shock:

Welcome to the madhouse.. you lucky, lucky person (living in Florida, that is - not finding us).Image
Dave Mc Image

comfychair
Silver Star
Silver Star

Post by comfychair » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:54 am

Surely you mean that you miss **Any* *sunshine, Dave?? Don't kid me, I've been to Leeds and the sun takes a detour somewhere around Huddersfield and only re-appears in York :wink:

CC

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:29 pm

You're not wrong there, mate :roll:
Dave Mc Image

pandammonium
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by pandammonium » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:27 pm

I used to find the weather was always better in Leeds than it was in Huddersfield, and I should know - I used to commute between the two! It's them Pennines, you know.
007 Panda: Licenced to Spell

--

Remember to search for your topic before adding a new thread.

Xetal
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Post by Xetal » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:50 pm

Welcome, Flyrr100! :drink:

I spent four years in New Jersey in the 80's. I suspect at least half the items you mention aren't missed on account of your living in the States :D

For many years I also spent at least a week every January in Orlando cooling down/on shopping orgies/disnifying my son, whilst living in Central America. I suspect you're not mentioning some of the compensations of living in Florida (even if Dave did.) I envy you - until the next big hurricane blows in, of course!

Wherever I went overseas I missed a good pub: there were a couple of decent imitations in NewYork, but the bitter was usually disgusting: it had to be to travel so far.

Expat Brits, particularly those of long standing, tend to be almost unrealistically patriotic and sentimental (and often about a generation behind the times.) They find it very hard to do naturally that definingly British thing, take the p155 out of our national institutions, because they revere them so much, usually by contrast with inferior local counterparts and - often - a lack of freedom of speech locally. I missed that attitude as much as anything when I was away.
Sworn, b'loody!

Xetal

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:17 am

He's right, you know, Flyrr100 - sit back and enjoy all that is good about where you are and don't be too unrealistically patriotic and sentimental. Don't forget there are still areas of Britain where you have to put bars on your doors and windows, where you can't park your car because it will either disappear, or be smashed when you return, it rains... a lot, it's cold in winter, it snows (although I like that), most kids behave anti-socially and swear at you, have no respect... for anything or anyone, and the price of petrol is about three times as much as what you pay over there. :wink: :D
Dave Mc Image

Flyrr100
Purple Star
Purple Star

Post by Flyrr100 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:46 pm

Living in the USA is definately different! I've been here since the 80s. Hence, when I go back to the UK I'm like a tourist. The country has changed so much! So sites like this remind me of the UK I remember. But also, when I return to the UK I'm ready to go home after about a week! Too much of a good thing I guess!

Dave MC, we do have sunshine. But we also have rain. Lots of it! And the odd hurricane! The crime rate here is nowhere near yours. Heck, we still have mailboxes on the street. My mails is always there! My cars are both in the driveway. They'd be in my double garage but the kid's junk is in there! Gas (petrol) is starting to raise in price. Now I'm paying $2.80 a gallon. Thats up from $1.00 two years ago. And the government say it's going to go up again soon!

Xetal, Ex Pats here do tend to be a little over patriotic. But we can take the pi55 out of Brits! Take a day at any Disney park during the summer. Come with my family as we play 'Spot the Brit'! It starts with the overly athletic shoes. Or bad sandles. Black socks! Lilly white legs. Swim shorts, or some short athletic shorts. Or those strange soccer things that come to just below your knees! (We call them capri pants here, and chicks wear them!) Soccer shirt. Usually local team, or lately England team. Floppy hat. And a plastic carrier bag.

We get BPL and FA Cup soccer live every weekend now. We get a selection of your shows on BBC America. I loved 'Life on Mars'. Being a Brit in America really isn't that bad.

dave mc
Double Mega & Moderator
Double Mega & Moderator

Post by dave mc » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:51 pm

Flyrr100 wrote:Take a day at any Disney park during the summer. Come with my family as we play 'Spot the Brit'! It starts with the overly athletic shoes. Or bad sandles. Black socks! Lilly white legs. Swim shorts, or some short athletic shorts. Or those strange soccer things that come to just below your knees! (We call them capri pants here, and chicks wear them!) Soccer shirt. Usually local team, or lately England team. Floppy hat. And a plastic carrier bag.
:shock: Oh, my God, that was me when I went to Disneyland. :oops:
Dave Mc Image

Xetal
Double Mega + Poster
Double Mega + Poster

Post by Xetal » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:36 am

British tourists are fair game for taking the p155 out of (as are American tourists over here! :twisted: ) I've never had a bad holiday in America, but I haven't been for several years, not least because the last thing I need on holiday is the ludicrously intrusive and time-consuming airport security they brought in after 9/11. We're hoping to go again late next year.

British expats in the USA are often a lot less as I described them above than they are in Central America. But it seems to take the switch to permanent residence to make them that way. A four or five-year posting abroad doesn't seem to alter one's view of England in the same way - perhaps because one knows one's going home again and there's less need to idealise one's cultural roots accordingly.
Sworn, b'loody!

Xetal

Return to “What do you miss?”